Sman Cruisers by Arnolt Van Der Sman

 






















It all started at age 15.I decided I wanted to work with my hands ,
instead of getting my high school diploma and work behind a desk . It was the year of 2001 and I went to the HMC / Hout en Meubilerings College ( which stands for Wood and Furniture College) I Learned the traditional woodcraft furniture making skills . In the first year I read a newspaper article about Vinicio Magni. This Italian gentleman made wooden bikes
and made it his profession . This article never let go.

For my final examination project , I made an 24 inch beach cruiser . With this bike i tried to make as much things of wood as possible i.a. the fork and the handlebar , There was no time to make wooden rims . I designed the bike in 04 , I graduated in 05 . From that moment on there was the idea to make an stretched cruiser . Many designs later I came up with the crossed swingarm . That was in 2009 , And you learn more on every project wether its a chair , closet , or bike . I like to challange myself , therefore in 2011. I designed a bike thats easy and 'cheap' to build . I made two at the same time

All my bikes are made from ash and beech wood . These two types of wood are a good match because the darker wood of the beech looks like the grain of the ash wood . The main frame is from ash and the details and fenders from beech wood . Ash is very resilient to shocks think of a baseball bat 

I hope to expand my collection over the years , so come back to check up on my site regularly !
Arnolt van der Sman


contact: smancruisers.com









   Top
   popular
   posts

Popular Posts